Pedruxella Gran’s position – sitting high above the March Valley (Val D’en March) with views over the Mediterannean – gives it a feeling of being in another world far removed from the hubbub of everyday life.
But Pedruxella is also a working estate – producing an artesenal extra virgin oil that is organic and “slow food” registered.
The meaning of Pedruxella is “place amongst the stones”. The first remaining structure, a stone watchtower, was built from those stones when the Moors ruled the island between 800 and 1250 AD. During Medieval times, the estate expanded and prospered under the Templars, who owned it when Pollensa was an important stop along the route from Europe to the Holy Land.
Today, Pedruxella keeps the best of its past conserved and celebrated. We still gather our friends in November to harvest olives from trees planted by the Moors and turn them into oil that same day in what may be the last operating traditional press on the island.
Please take a moment to browse through our site and watch the videos on Pedruxella and our ancient olive press to learn more about our home in the heart of Mallorca.
Liz Barratt-Brown and Bosworth Dewey